Anderson wasn’t known for his goalscoring prowess at Manchester United – or much else it has to be said.But the Brazilian, who was branded a huge flop after a disappointing eight-year spell at United, showed good composure and skill for Internacional when he netted for the club in the Brazilian Cup.See his rare goal above!
1 Ian Holloway has told talkSPORT there is a plethora of untapped talent in the lower leagues waiting to become the next Dele Alli, John Stones, Joe Hart or Jamie Vardy.The former Blackpool and Millwall boss joined the Colin Murray show on Wednesday to chat about his upcoming 1,400-mile tour to cover ten Football League games in ten days, and the manager insists there isn’t a greater time to be watching the lesser tiers of English football.A host of the Premier League’s top stars and rising starlets have been plucked from outside the top echelon over the years, including England number one Hart and more recently Everton’s Stones, Tottenham’s Alli and Leicester striker Vardy.The latter trio have all been rewarded for their meteoric rise with a call-up into senior England squad, while Alli starred with a stunning goal on his full Three Lions debut in Tuesday night’s 2-0 win over France at Wembley.On the 19-year-old’s recent rise, Holloway told the Colin Murray show: “Dele Alli – what an advert for the Football League!“This time last year he was playing for MK Dons in League One, and how lucky are Tottenham and England to have him now?“He was great against France, crunching tackles and a great finish, but it’s not just him.“John Stones has been brilliant and he started at Rochdale, and Manchester City signed Joe Hart from Shrewsbury.“These players were created in the Football League.”It’s a view mirrored by England manager Roy Hodgson, who was full of praise for Alli and Tottenham team-mate Eric Dier who impressed in their first England starts on Tuesday.“Here we have two guys both of whom have little or very little Premier League experience – both of them making their [full England] debut and they have played the game like they have been playing in the England team as long as we can remember,” the manager said following the emotional victory over France, which saw England players and fans pay tribute to the victims of Friday’s terrorist attacks in Paris.“It just proves the point that I try to make – that there is talent out there in the country coming through and if we can just keep it nurtured, keep working with it and given them the confidence and the belief in themselves we can hope in the future for maybe some better things.” England celebrate Dele Alli’s goal against France
Harry Kane may have stolen the show against West Ham on Sunday but the Tottenham striker surely should have bagged himself a hat-trick.Despite two typically assured finishes, the 22-year-old woefully snatched at another chance when played through on goal.But was his miss as bad as Geoff Thomas’s for England against France in 1992?You decide…
Jamie Carragher and Dennis Bergkamp 3 3 The Gunners’ skilful attacker has been arguably the best player in this campaign, most notably by chalking up 16 assists in 18 games, but when Carragher heard Ozil’s stats being compared with those of Arsenal great Dennis Bergkamp, he took exception.In his regular Daily Mail column, Carra claimed that ‘Ozil needs to win the Premier League to be at the level of Bergkamp‘, and when he tweeted this view a US-based Arsenal and Ozil fan immediately penned a furious response. Carragher then engaged in a debate with the Arsenal fan in question, and you can see the exchange here…Who do you agree with on the subject of Ozil? Comment below. Jamie Carragher has had his fair share of run-ins with Arsenal fans down the years and little has changed since he retired as a player.The former Liverpool defender – who was once banned for ‘returning’ a coin that had been thrown at him by Arsenal fans – has been debating the relative merits of Mesut Ozil’s performances so far this season. 3
Sunderland starlet Jordan Pickford 1 Sunderland prospect Jordan Pickford has penned new contract which will keep him on Wearside until the summer of 2020.The highly-rated 21-year-old goalkeeper signed a new four-year deal in June 2014, but the academy graduate has now committed himself for a further two years after manager Sam Allardyce moved to tie up his future.Allardyce said: “Jordan is an exceptional talent who has already demonstrated that he is comfortable playing at the highest level.“At the tender age of just 21, which is still very young in goalkeeping terms, there is still a lot more potential for development, which is really exciting for us.“It’s always great to see a local lad progress through the academy ranks, especially for our fans, and I am certain that Jordan has a very bright future ahead of him here at Sunderland.”England Under-21 international Pickford, who joined the Black Cats as an eight-year-old, was handed his senior debut in the 3-1 FA Cup third-round defeat at Arsenal on January 9.He retained his place for the Premier League trip to Tottenham a week later after a series of successful loan spells, the last of them at Championship side Preston during the first half of this season.Allardyce has insisted Italian Vito Mannone remains his number one, but was confident enough in Pickford to sell Costel Pantilimon to Watford last week.
Lazio star Felipe Anderson 1 Lazio have denied recent reports that star midfielder Felipe Anderson is set for a £47million switch to Manchester United in the summer.On Monday it was claimed in the Italian press that club president Claudio Lotito revealed he had agreed to sell the 22-year-old Brazilian playmaker to United for €60million [around £46.9m].But the Serie A side dismissed the rumours just hours after the initial reports, insisting the comments attributed to Lazio chief Lotito were ‘devoid of any foundation’.A statement published on Lazio’s official website read: “In reference to statements attributed to president Claudio Lotito regarding the alleged sale of Felipe Anderson, Lazio can confirm they are devoid of any foundation.”Italian outlets Il Messaggero and Calciomercato claimed Lotito was overheard by journalists saying Anderson was on his way to Old Trafford, while speaking to colleagues at Serie B side Salernitana’s match against Crotone on Sunday.Anderson was heavily linked with a move to United over the January transfer window, but he eventually remained in Rome as a switch failed to materialise.The Brazil international has made 24 league appearances for the Biancocelesti this season, scoring six goals, and netted 11 times last term.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityThe fiery crash underscored the dangers of flying in Congo, which has experienced more fatal air crashes than any other African country since 1945, according to the Aviation Safety Network. The turboprop belonged to the Congolese company Africa One, which has been barred from flying in the European Union because of safety concerns. Citing police reports, U.N. peacekeeping spokesman Michel Bonnardeaux said 25 people were killed and two aboard the plane survived – a mechanic and a flight attendant who was in critical condition. Police said that amid the wreckage, it was difficult to determine how many of the dead had been aboard the plane and how many were on the ground. Transport Minister Remy Kuseyo said at least three people on the ground died. The Russian Foreign Ministry said three Russians were among the dead: the pilot, the co-pilot and a flight engineer. Cargo planes in Congo are frequently flown by pilots from former Soviet states. At least 22 people were injured, according to the Congolese Red Cross. AVIATION: Congo dead include people on the ground after the turboprop hits three houses. By Eddy Isango THE ASSOCIATED PRESS KINSHASA, Congo – In a thunderous blast, a cargo plane slammed into an impoverished residential neighborhood in Congo’s capital seconds after takeoff Thursday, leaving at least 25 people dead in a smoky wreckage of concrete blocks and twisted debris. It was not immediately known what caused the Antonov 26 to go down. But the Russian Foreign Ministry said one of the plane’s propellers somehow broke off during takeoff, and one of its wings was sheared off as it hit a bank of trees. That account was echoed by several witnesses. “The plane clipped several treetops and hit the roofs of three houses, crashing onto its back with its tires in the air,” said Japhet Kiwa, who lives in the neighborhood of Kingasani, a few miles away from Kinshasa’s Ndili International Airport. “There was a huge explosion.” The blast set palm trees ablaze and completely tore apart three single-story homes set between two dirt roads. Little was left, except two detached wheels on the roof of a house, strips of the plane’s riveted exterior and what appeared to be part of an engine. A large bent propeller stuck out of the earth, surrounded by gray concrete blocks, trash, torn clothes and debris. Smoke filled the sky for hours as firefighters struggled to douse the flames amid a chaotic crowd of shouting onlookers, including wailing friends and relatives of the victims. Red Cross workers scampered among the debris, hauling charred corpses out of the rubble in blue plastic sacks, which were loaded into ambulances and taken to a hospital in Kinshasa. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A police investigation released today blamed problems in leadership and training for a May Day melee in which officers in riot gear pummeled news media and demonstrators at an immigration rally. The 90-page report to the civilian Los Angeles Police Commission echoed previous conclusions by Police Chief William Bratton and made a host of recommendations for changes in the way the Los Angeles Police Department handles confrontations. Police had several chances to stop the violence during the confrontation, the report said. “Instead, the failing leadership, breakdown in supervision and breakdown in personal discipline caused those without full situational awareness to take action without understanding how their decisions might affect the final outcome,” the report concluded. “The larger issue was the fact that not a single supervisor or member of the command staff involved attempted to intervene,” the report said. Deputy Chief Caylor “Lee” Carter underestimated the size and significance of the rally, and verbally reprimanded an LAPD captain who had suggested additional planning, the report said. The report cited confusion among officers about who was in charge and tension between Carter and two other commanding officers. “As a result, subordinate officers witnessed conflicting direction,” the report said, adding that officers in the field made requests over the radio that went unacknowledged. The report to the commission recommended that the LAPD improve communication between commanders and officers during public events. It also recommended putting officers’ names or serial numbers on their helmets and vests to make them more easily identifiable. Police also should annually review crowd control policies “including use of force,” the report said. “It appeared that some of the officers and supervisors in MacArthur Park believed that, contrary to department policy, baton strikes could be used to compel a person to disperse, even if they were merely standing in front of the officers, failing to respond to direction,” the report said. All of the recommendations will be implemented by the department within a year, the report said. Tim Sands, president of the Los Angeles Police Protective League, which represents officers, said the report revealed the downside of a department decision in recent years to not train all officers for large tactical situations. “We are pleased that one of the outcomes of the incident is that the department has agreed to stop sacrificing training,” Sands said in a prepared statement. The report did not address the issue of how officers involved in the melee should be disciplined. That is being handled in a separate LAPD process. Since the May 1 melee, there has been a staff shakeup at the department. Lawsuits have been filed. Several investigations were launched. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has said he was “deeply, personally troubled” by the violence. The clash in MacArthur Park broke out after officers reported being targeted by as many as 50 “agitators” throwing rocks and bottles. Bratton has said a breakdown in police command led officers to respond with force, swing batons and fire dozens of bean bags, sponges and other nonlethal projectiles to disperse a crowd of demonstrators and journalists in the park. He also faulted poor communication and planning. “It all broke down,” Bratton has said. No one was seriously hurt, but images of baton-wielding officers knocking people to the ground played repeatedly on newscasts. The city is facing hundreds of lawsuits stemming from the melee. Last month, a claim was filed against the city on behalf of 164 people who say they were injured by officers. Since then 10 lawsuits and 94 other claims have been filed.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Overall, the electorate is becoming less inclined to affiliate with either major party and is becoming somewhat less representative of the total population. We encourage voters to work to change that latter trend. Given the excitement that the wide-open presidential primary should generate in the months leading up to the Feb. 5 vote, now is a good time to get registered and get involved in the democratic process.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.In Los Angeles County, the percentage of eligible voters who are registered went from about 72 percent four years ago to about 68 percent today. The number of people on the county’s voter rolls has actually dropped by more than 100,000 over the same time period. Another trend is the increase in California voters who decline to state their party. Their numbers are up 3 percent. In Supervisor Don Knabe’s Fourth District, which includes much of the South Bay, the number of decline-to-state voters rose from 15.8 percent in 2003 to 19.3 percent today. The proportions of Democrats and Republicans compared to all registered voters in the Fourth District are down by about 1.5 percent. In the 53rd Assembly District, which includes Torrance and the beach cities, decline-to-state voters now represent 21.3 percent percent of the electorate, up from 18 percent four years ago. These independent-minded voters often decide the outcome of close elections. Under the current rules, they have two options during the presidential primary: They can choose from among the Democratic Party candidates or those of the American Independent Party. With a number of South Bay elections coming up on Nov. 6, not to mention the presidential primary vote in February, it’s a good time for would-be voters to get informed about the latest electoral trends and deadlines. First off, county residents should understand that Monday is the deadline to register for the November vote, which in the South Bay will include elections for city councils and school boards. Voter registration forms are available at a number of locations, such as libraries, city clerk offices and post offices. To vote, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 18 years of age by Election Day. Those in prison or on parole for conviction of a felony are not eligible. We hope a larger number of voters will decide to take part in the upcoming elections, but statistics just released by Secretary of State Debra Bowen’s office are not terribly encouraging. Bowen released figures comparing the makeup of the California electorate prior to the last presidential primary in 2004 to today’s voters. Statewide, the percentage of eligible voters who are registered has fallen to 68 percent, compared with 71percent four years ago.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s pick to lead the Department of Water and Power pledged Monday to promote openness and transparency in the massive utility’s $3.9billion budget and proposed rate increases. The naming of attorney and environmentalist H. David Nahai for the job came just three days after longtime chief Ron Deaton announced his retirement. Nahai, who served two years in a voluntary post on the Board of Water and Power Commissioners, vowed to push for reform at the nation’s largest public utility. “Irrespective of how engaged and how effective a commissioner is, he or she is, at the end of the day, still pushing from the outside,” Nahai said. “This nomination will give me the opportunity to lead from the inside.” In announcing his choice for the job, Villaraigosa said Nahai has special qualifications. If approved by his former board and the City Council, as expected, Nahai would leave his real estate law firm and take on the nearly $350,000-a-year job heading the utility beginning Dec. 1. Nahai would take the helm as the DWP tries to convert 20percent of its electrical supply from coal to more green sources, such as solar and wind power, by 2010. The utility has also suffered major problems with power reliability and is attempting to upgrade its aging electrical and water infrastructure. Nahai has argued that the utility must raise rates to pay for the needed upgrades. The City Council will begin considering a plan today to increase electricity rates by 9percent over the next three years and water rates by 6percent over two years. Nahai pledged unprecedented transparency on how the rate increases would be spent, including the formation of an oversight committee to track the money raised and how it’s used. “The people of Los Angeles deserve, and are entitled to, accountability,” Nahai said, pledging that revenues from a rate increase will be spent wisely. firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Kerry Cavanaugh Staff Writer LOS ANGELES: Mayor Villaraigosa picks former water and power commissioner H. David Nahai to head the utility.