By Dialogo October 27, 2011 The Tuxtla Group, made up of Central America, Mexico, Colombia, and the Dominican Republic, will seek to modernize and coordinate their police and prosecutors in order to combat organized crime, especially drug trafficking, according to an agreement reached at a ministerial meeting on October 24. Foreign ministers and deputy foreign ministers from the countries belonging to this Mesoamerican dialogue mechanism concluded a meeting in the Mexican city of Tuxtla Gutiérrez (Chiapas, southeastern Mexico), where they established the terms of the document they will take to the organization’s thirteenth presidential summit, to be held in early November. Among the projects that will be debated at the summit are “modernizing and coordinating the police, the prosecutors at the regional level, intelligence, and exchange of information,” the Salvadoran deputy foreign minister, Carlos Castañeda, said at a press conference at the end of the meeting. The Guatemalan foreign minister, Haroldo Rodas, for his part, declared that the presidents will analyze 8 projects selected from a group of 22 debated at the International Security Conference held two months previously in Guatemala. “They’re projects that are already prepared with their financial costs. The presidents are going to be informed about the results we have,” Rodas said, stressing that the issue of “drug trafficking and organized crime is one of the most important in the region.” Drug trafficking in Central America, Rodas added, has had a renaissance because it is no longer only a transit area, but also the site of different events that make this set of problems affecting the region “much more complicated.” The Mexican foreign minister, Patricia Espinosa, specified that “actions combating transnational organized-crime groups in the areas of drug trafficking, chemical precursors, money laundering, and arms trafficking” will be debated. Upon opening the meeting, Espinosa had emphasized that organized crime represents a “threat” to the region’s institutions and its democratic consolidation. The governor of Chiapas, Juan Sabines, proposed creating a document that would enable Central Americans to enter Mexico, making it possible to combat human trafficking and restrain the abuses suffered by thousands of immigrants who attempt the crossing. “The commitment is to be able to have a joint agreement and that they (the Central Americans) also issue a document and that a visa should not be a pretext to keep them from entering the country,” Sabines told the press. This would respond to a “security problem for Mexico and a human-rights issue,” he added. The meeting was attended by the foreign ministers of Costa Rica, Enrique Castillo; Nicaragua, Samuel Santos; and Panama, Roberto Henríquez. Belize, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, and Honduras were represented at the level of deputy foreign ministers. The Tuxtla Group, which has had various names and which the countries of the region have joined over time, was created in 1991 as a forum for articulating shared projects to benefit the Mesoamerican peoples. At the previous summit, held a year ago in the Colombian city of Cartagena, the communiqué was also dominated by the issue of drug trafficking, especially condemnation of the United States as the world’s chief consumption market.
Brazil’s President Dilma Rousseff tied the decision on a fighter jet in a deal worth billions of dollars to the country’s economy picking up. “We have pushed back the choice… and this will take some time depending on how long it takes the Brazilian economy to recover,” Rousseff said at a joint press conference with her French counterpart Francois Hollande. Brazil is looking to buy 36 multi-purpose jets to modernize its air force in a contract valued at between $4 billion and $7 billion. The Rafale fighter, built by French firm Dassault Aviation, is up against the US aviation giant Boeing’s F/A-18 Super Hornet and Swedish manufacturer Saab’s Gripen. Brazil, which boasts the world’s sixth-largest economy, began considering buying a new fighter model several years ago, but Rousseff said the government had postponed making a decision in the face of a sharp economic slowdown. The Brazilian economy rose 2.7 percent last year, sharply down from a sizzling 7.5 percent in 2010. “We are waiting for growth at a higher rate that will permit us to make this project a priority again,” said Rousseff. She said there were signs that growth was picking up “but we still have to be careful about extraordinary expenditures.” The early favorite was the Rafale, but Brasília finds it too expensive and has been pressing for a better price. Paris has offered full technology transfers in its bid to win the contract. Boeing’s F/A-18 Super Hornet is cheaper, but Brazilian officials are wary of Washington’s possible use of technology restrictions. By Dialogo December 13, 2012
Detailing specifications, the Moto G9 Power runs on stock Android 10 and features a 6.8-inch HD+ (720×1,640 pixels) IPS display. Under the hood, it is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 662 SoC paired with 4GB RAM. Internal storage is listed to be at 128GB with the option to expand it further using a microSD card (up to 512GB).The Moto G9 Power has a triple camera setup with a 64-megapixel primary sensor (f/1.79 aperture), a 2-megapixel macro sensor (f/2.4), and an additional 2-megapixel depth sensor(f/2.4). Up front, the phone has a 16-megapixel camera with f/2.2 aperture for selfies and video calling.As the name suggests, the biggest highlight is possibly that the Moto G9 Power packs a 6,000mAh battery that supports 20W fast charging. The company touts that the battery can last up to 60 hours. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi 802.11 ac, Bluetooth v5, NFC, USB Type-C, 3.5mm audio jack, and 4G LTE. The phone weighs 221 grams and is 9.66mm thick.- Advertisement – Moto G9 Power has launched as the latest smartphone offering by the company. This phone is said to be the last in the Moto G9 family, which includes the Moto G9, Moto G9 Plus, and Moto G9 Play. The Moto G9 Power has launched in Europe, and it packs a large 6,000mAh battery to keep the phone running longer. It is equipped with a triple camera setup at the back with a 64-megapixel main camera and is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 662 SoC.Moto G9 Power price, saleMotorola UK tweeted to announce the Moto G9 Power. The phone is priced in Europe at EUR 199 (roughly Rs. 17,400) for the lone 4GB RAM + 128GB storage option. The phone has launched in shades of Electric Violet and Metallic Sage. It will be available in selected countries in Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East in the coming week. There is no clarity on whether the Moto G9 Power will launch in India or not.Moto G9 Power specifications- Advertisement – – Advertisement –
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The international community was supposed to convene again to review its commitments at the 26th session of the UNFCCC Conference of Parties (COP) in Glasgow, Scotland, in November, but the swift and sudden spread of COVID-19 pushed the summit back to 2021.Although most countries including Indonesia are heavily focused on the viral outbreak response, “there is still much to do” in preparation for the next COP meeting next year, said Nur Masripatin, senior adviser to the environment and forestry minister.Nur said the ministry must still prepare an environmental road map document and legal framework, but also help other agencies prepare in accordance with the pledges outlined in the rehashed NDC. She said her office was also preparing the country’s Long-Term Strategy for Low-Carbon Climate Resilience (LTS-LCCR) to target net zero emissions by 2050.Even with a lot on its plate, Nur said the government was expecting progress on some of its NDC target pledges, particularly in the energy sector where the B30 biodiesel mandate was launched. As the recently updated draft of Indonesia’s climate action commitments under the Paris Agreement awaits government approval, activists worry the reworked pledge might not be ambitious enough for one of the world’s largest emitters of greenhouse gases. The Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) is a pledge made under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) to cut down on emissions in accordance with the Paris Agreement goals of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.After inviting environmental groups, experts and public officials in February to weigh in on its reworked NDC pledge, Indonesia decided to keep its previous pledge to reduce emissions by 29 percent independently – or 41 percent with international assistance – by 2030, a carbon copy of the target outlined in its first NDC submission in 2016. Under the B30 program, the government will impose the mandatory use of 30 percent oil palm-based blended biodiesel fuel to help lower fossil fuel imports and increase foreign exchange. It is also planning to make 50 percent blended biodiesel fuel mandatory by 2021.The energy sector is poised to become Indonesia’s second-largest contributor of greenhouse gas reductions, making up 11 percent of all targeted reductions after the forestry sector (17.2 percent).Greenpeace Indonesia has criticized the updated NDCs as not ambitious enough, underscoring the decision not to increase the emissions reduction target. Its climate and energy researcher, Dila Isfandari, suggested that any failure to do so would be reflected in more tangible consequences.“Indonesia won’t be able to save its people from the climate crisis [even with the current NDCs]. Even a rise of 1 degree Celsius in global temperatures drastically increased the frequency of hydrometeorological disasters,” Dila told The Jakarta Post.Government data even confirms this trend. According to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), the rising trend of natural disasters has continued from year to year, from 1,967 cases in 2014 to 3,721 cases in 2019.According to the Climate Action Tracker, a website that analyzes government climate actions and measures them against the Paris Agreement goals, Indonesia’s current NDCs will be “highly insufficient” as with it global warming would reach 3 to 4 degree Celsius, above the 1.5 degree Celsius threshold.A World Resources Institute study in 2015 suggested that, if Indonesia continues implementing existing measures, its 2030 carbon dioxide emissions from the land use and energy sectors will overshoot the target associated with the country’s unconditional commitment to a 29 percent reduction.“Reducing emissions to meet Indonesia’s conditional target of a 41 percent reduction below business-as-usual levels would require even stronger efforts, including extending the […] forest moratorium, restoring degraded peatland, implementing energy conservation programs, and pursuing mitigation measures for other sectors and gases,” WRI researchers wrote in the study.The ministry was advised not to reduce its emissions reduction target after a public consultation in February with environmental groups and other stakeholders, including the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry.“The important principle is that the updated NDC must progress beyond existing commitments, meaning that we aren’t allowed to lower our ambitions to reduce emissions,” Nur said in a virtual discussion on Monday.Environmental studies scholar Gusti Anshari of Tanjungpura University said that the updated NDCs will, even if approved, require new regulations to be passed before they can be implemented.In the meantime, he said, the government should figure out a way to “attain our NDC target, whether it be mitigation or adaptation”.Topics :
Anies said that during the new transitional PSBB, businesses that were allowed to open must record each visitor in a physical or digital guest book to assist in contact tracing of positive cases.The visitor data that must be recorded includes names, phone numbers, identity card numbers (NIK) as well as the time of their visit. The data must be handed over to the Jakarta administration regularly.Businesses must also prepare a COVID-19 safety plan with further protocols to be regulated by the relevant city agencies.“Every resident is responsible for participating in efforts to prevent COVID-19 transmission,” Anies said. “If one place is not disciplined, the whole city will bear the consequences.”Topics : Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has once again relaxed large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) in the capital, starting another transitional phase on Monday despite the more than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases confirmed daily.“We implemented the emergency brake policy [full PSBB] for about a month because the number of cases was increasing out of our control. After the number of new cases became more stable, we started to release the brakes slowly, step by step,” Anies said in a written statement on Sunday.The transitional period will last at least until Oct. 25. Anies said the decision was made based on the number of daily new cases, the daily mortality rate and the trend of total active cases that has flattened during the past few weeks, as well as the increased hospital capacity for COVID-19 patients.Between Aug. 29 and Sept. 11, Jakarta recorded 14,155 new positive cases or a 37.09 percent increase from the previous two-week period. From Sept. 11 to 25, it recorded 16,606 new positive cases or a 31.74 percent increase, while between Sept. 25 and Oct. 9, it recorded 15,437 new infections or a 22.39 percent increase.During the transitional period, workplaces in 11 essential industries — including health, food, energy, communications, finance, logistics and daily needs retail — will be allowed to operate at full capacity, while non-essential businesses may allow up to 50 percent of their employees to work at the office.Restaurants will be allowed to serve dine-in customers at 50 percent of their maximum capacity, while houses of worship are also allowed to reopen.
Queensland saw owner occupied housing lending drop in December, seasonally adjustedMore from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home3 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor8 hours agoAUSSIES added $10 billion in home loans in one month, bringing total outstanding housing loans to a whopping $1.561 trillion, latest official data shows.Australian Bureau of Statistics housing finance data for December showed housing loan outstandings jumped 0.7 per cent between November and December last year, with owner occupied loans hitting $1.016 trillion and investment housing loans at $545 billion.“The total value of dwelling commitments excluding alterations and additions (trend) rose 0.8 per cent in December 2016 compared with November 2016, and the seasonally adjusted series rose 0.4 per cent in December 2016.”Seasonally adjusted, owner occupied lending was up 1.3 per cent, led by strong growth out of ACT up 6.3 per cent, followed by New South Wales 1.5 per cent, Victoria 0.8 per cent and Northern Territory 0.5 per cent. But elsewhere saw falls including Queensland (down 1.3 per cent), Tasmania (2.7 per cent), South Australia (1.9 per cent) and Western Australia (2.7 per cent).First home buyers remained at 13.8 per cent of total owner occupied commitments for the month, but their numbers were down to 7,690.