Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute Of Politics Announces Spring 2017 Fellows

first_imgThe Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics (IOP) has selected its spring 2017 class of Visiting and Resident Fellows. A list is available at http://bit.ly/2017SpringFellows.“This class of Fellows boasts deep insights into the rapidly evolving landscape of national and global challenges. They will bring this range of perspectives and deep subject knowledge to benefit our undergraduate students and the Harvard community this semester,” said Maggie Williams, IOP director.The six resident fellows (pictured at right) will bring their expertise in border security, foreign policy, the environment, America’s opioid crisis, and other pressing topics with them to Harvard. Three public service leaders will complement the Resident Fellows as distinguished Visiting Fellows: Kelly Ayotte, U.S. Senator (R-NH; 2011-17); Ray Mabus, U.S. Secretary of the Navy (2009-17); and Peter Shumlin, Governor of Vermont (D-VT; 2011-17).For 50 years, the Fellows Program has stood as an integral component of the IOP’s dual commitment to encourage student interest in public service and to increase interaction between the academic and political communities.last_img read more

California governor and unions clash over school openings

first_imgSAN FRANCISCO (AP) — An effort to reopen schools in California is foundering, stoking the frustration of parents and the governor of America’s most populous state. As the one-year anniversary of distance learning approaches, parents are grappling more than ever with the toll of isolation and intense screen time on their kids’ academic and emotional well-being. A $2 billion plan by Gov. Gavin Newsom to reopen schools next month has not been well received. The Legislature shows no sign of fast-tracking its approval. The state’s powerful teachers unions and biggest school districts say it is unworkable, raising questions about whether K-12 schools will open at all this academic year.last_img

Long Island Would Suffer if Pell Grant Freeze OK’d, Officials Say

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York More than 150,000 college students on Long Island who received federal Pell Grants last year risk partly losing that tuition funding next year if a Congressional proposal is approved, a new report has found.Suffolk County lawmakers Tuesday released the 10-page report summarizing earlier public hearings after U.S. Rep. Tom Price (R-Okla.) in March proposed freezing Pell Grants for 10 years at a maximum of $5,775 per student annually, sparking backlash from students, educators and Democrats.“If I didn’t have it, I wouldn’t be here today,” said Gina Beechay, a 26-year-old Stony Brook University student who was able to enroll only after acquiring a Pell Grant. “I wouldn’t be on the path to be a dentist.”The proposed Pell Grant freeze, which is estimated to cut $90 billion from the program, is just one of countless proposed savings and expenditures up for debate amid federal budget negotiations before the Oct. 10 deadline. Of every 100 Pell Grant recipients nationwide, at least one is on LI. Created in 1972, Pell Grants are college financial aid that does not need to be paid back by qualifying low-income students.“Pell Grants are not just handouts,” said Suffolk County Presiding Officer DuWayne Gregory, (D-Amityville), who plans to challenge Rep. Peter King (R-Seaford) next year. “We are a nation of opportunity, and we shouldn’t be closing doors.”Economists and educators say the national investment in college students is worth the reward of having a better-paid skilled workforce and educated citizenry.“Through education comes economic empowerment,” said Shaun McKay, president of Suffolk County Community College, who warned that making it more difficult for students to go to college could mean that the future workforce loses its competitiveness.John Rizzo, chief economist of the Long Island Association, cited a 2012 Department of Treasury study showing that 70 percent of people without a college degree will remain in the same or fall into a lower economic station that that of their parents, while 55 percent of people with a college degree will perform better economically than their parents.“There’s this disconnect between rising educational costs and limited ability for families to pay for these costs,” Rizzo said, noting that the increased cost to attend college has forced more students take on loans.Fewer students being able to afford college also could impact the local economy beyond just college students.“If fewer students go to college, then we don’t need to employ 38,000 people; we need to employ fewer than that, and we’ll need less than $4 billion worth of construction,” said Tim Bishop, a former Democratic congressman and ex-Southampton College provost. “The ripple effect is going to not just deal with individual aspirations of students. It’s one that’s going to impact day-to-day life on Long Island in terms of the economic vitality of our region.”And for many students, Pell Grants ultimately help them achieve their goals, regardless of their background.“It wasn’t just for me,” said Abraham Eun Im, the 2015 valedictorian of the Farmingdale State College, who graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Aeronautical Science. For the future airman, the Pell Grant allowed him to obtain the resources and education he could have only imagined having. He said: “I wanted my mother’s American dream realized.”last_img read more

This week: NAFCU engaged on top CU issues, meeting with Fed

first_imgThe Federal Reserve ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading »center_img A number of top NAFCU and credit union priorities are topics of discussion on Capitol Hill this week, including housing finance reform, data security and regulatory relief. NAFCU is engaged with lawmakers as midterm elections approach, and continues to push for a regulatory environment in which the credit union industry can grow and prosper.On Friday, NAFCU will talk with the Federal Reserve regarding the next phase of payments strategy activities.NAFCU is also monitoring appropriations discussions and following a continuing spending resolution that would ensure government funding through Dec. 7 before current funding runs out Sept. 30. The chambers this week also hope to complete work on an additional package of spending bills, including the financial services and general government appropriations measure.The House next week is also set to vote on “Tax Reform 2.0.” Credit unions’ tax-exempt status remains untouched in the package.last_img read more

Cops: ‘Erratic’ Street Sweeper Arrested for DWI After Low Speed Pursuit

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A street sweeper was arrested for drunken driving, state police said. (Photo credit: New York State Police)An “erratic” driving street sweeper was arrested for drunken driving Thursday night following a low-speed chase on the Southern State Parkway, state police said. Following a five-minute pursuit between Exits 22 and 26, Jerry Mitchell, 48, of Brooklyn was arrested and charged with aggravated DWI. His blood alcohol content was more than twice the legal limit, state police said in a news release. State police began receiving reports of an “erratic street sweeper” traveling east on the Southern State Parkway just before 8 p.m. on New Year’s Day. A trooper found the vehicle near Exit 22 and tried to pull it over, but the driver allegedly fled, continuing eastbound at 35 miles per hour, police said. The trooper pursued the vehicle for about five minutes until it came to a stop west of Exit 26 and the driver surrendered, police said. Mitchell was also charged with aggravated unlicensed operation along with other unspecified traffic infractions. He was transported to Nassau County detention, where he was held for a Friday morning arraignment.last_img read more

President Trump calls out Binghamton University protests in speech at West Palm Beach, Fla.

first_imgIn his speech, the president said the conservative students who wanted to host Dr. Laffer “were surrounded by hundreds of radicals, screaming at them in vile terms.” The full video can be found on the White House’ YouTube channel by clicking here. WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (WBNG) — President Donald Trump brought up Binghamton University at the Turning Point USA Student Action Summit Saturday. He called out the protests that occurred in November at the university over the College Republicans’ decision to host Economist Dr. Arthur Laffer on campus. President Trump invited a Binghamton University student to speak on stage and address the attendance at the summit about the protests. RELATED: Protesters interrupt speech at Binghamton University On Nov. 14, students protested against the College Republicans and Turning Point’s move to to set up tables outside the University Union building with what the school called “provocative displays.”last_img read more

Formula One slammed over swelling tobacco advertising

first_img‘Harm for generations’ “Promoting these products attracts new tobacco users, especially among young people, causing harm for generations to come.” The WHO estimates that tobacco use kills more than seven million people each year.PMI and BAT last year formed partnerships with their scientific research subsidiaries and Formula 1 teams Ferrari and McLaren, more than a decade after cigarette advertising was all but banned from the sport.The tobacco companies are no longer advertising for their traditional cigarette brands, but do appear to be pushing new, so-called “smoke-free” heated tobacco products, although they do not mention them by name.The International Automobile Federation (FIA), Formula 1’s ruling body, has since 2006 been opposed to any advertising or sponsoring of cigarettes or tobacco.But Wednesday’s report lamented that FIA’s previous public commitment to fully ban tobacco sponsorship had been watered down to a mere recommendation in 2003.  “The FIA claims that it wants to promote a net positive contribution to society. That’s not possible while it is still linked to an industry that causes such harm,” Mary Assunta of STOP said in the statement. Contacted by AFP, FIA insisted in an email that it “remains firmly opposed to tobacco advertising and continues to stand by its 2003 recommendations.”However, it said, “we are not in a position to interfere with the private commercial arrangements between the teams and their sponsors.””We will continue to monitor the compliance with the applicable laws.”PMI meanwhile slammed STOP’s “ideological attacks” and “misguided campaigns” against the company, insisting its partnership with Ferrari “does not and will not be used to advertise or promote any PMI-branded tobacco or nicotine-containing products.”  “Our partnership activities respect all applicable laws,” spokesman Ryan Sparrow said in an email.Phil Chamberlain of STOP described such arguments as “a typically slippery move.””PMI and BAT claim that they aren’t directly advertising cigarette brands. But according to trademarks registered by the companies, these brands are associated with tobacco products.”Wednesday’s report certainly indicated that the tobacco companies benefit from their involvement in the sport.It found that media coverage of the 2019 races alone generated exposure worth “at least $150.3 million” for PMI’s ‘Mission Winnow’ brand, and $27.6 million for BAT brands.”For tobacco companies, the benefits are clear,” co-author Caroline Reid of Formula Money said in the statement.”This is a global sport that draws more than 500 million fans worldwide, mostly young and male — a prized demographic. And tobacco companies receive a real return on investment.” And after years of declining sponsorship spending, brought on by growing awareness about the harmful effects of tobacco products, national bans and a supposed ban within F1, the report said that spending last year reached “a staggering $100 million”, putting it back at levels not seen since 2011.The spending, by tobacco giants Philip Morris and British American Tobacco on the F1 Ferrari and McLaren teams, is this year expected to rise to $115 million, it said.The findings prompted concern from the World Health Organization, with health promotion chief Ruediger Krech insisting in a statement that “we must not go backwards in the fight against tobacco.” Topics :center_img Tobacco giants have spent billions on advertising with Formula One teams over the years, and are again swelling their spending despite a supposed ban, industry monitors said Wednesday.In a fresh report entitled “Driving Addiction: F1 and Tobacco Advertising”, F1 industry monitor Formula Money and tobacco industry watchdog STOP pointed to data indicating cigarette-makers were aggressively stepping up spending.Since F1 was established 70 years ago, its teams and events have sold $4.4 billion in advertising and sponsorship to tobacco companies, the report said.last_img read more

‘B’ main to victory lane for Michonski on Hall of Fame Night

first_imgLucas Lamberies was the IMCA Modified winner and Matthew Radtke topped the Karl Kustoms Northern SportMod main. Czarapata looked to be firmly on charge when a caution flew on lap 13.  Czarapata continued to lead while Michonski steadily worked his way through traffic.  Things got really interesting as a late caution meant a two lap shootout would decide the race.  On the restart, Czarapata’s car appeared to stumble heading down the front stretch.  It looked like rush hour traffic entering turn one with Michonski, Nolan, Snellenberger and Travis Van Straten overtaking Czarapata.  Trent Nolan and Jeremie Hedrick fought for the lead at the start and were quickly joined by Rod Snellenberger and Brandon Czarapata at the front.  With Nolan leading, Czarapata took to the outside to pass for the lead on lap seven.                                                                                                                     Shawano honored its two most recent inductees into the tracks Hall of Fame as Bob Maas and the late Mark Mitchell were recognized at intermission. By Scott Owen  VanStraten made a last lap charge to the inside of Michonski, but it would not be enough as the crowd jumped to its collective feet to watch the finish.  Michonski scored the win followed by VanStraten, Nolan, Snellenberger, and Czarapata.   SHAWANO, Wis. (June 27) – The fans that came out in droves for Hall of Fame Night at Shawano Speedway enjoyed a hall of fame caliber performance from Dan Michonski Saturday night.  After qualifying from a ‘B’ feature, Michonski started 17th and hustled all the way to the front of the IMCA Sunoco Stock Car feature field.last_img read more

Premier League may restart June 1

first_imgRelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 EPL: Gunners gun for West Ham scalp The Premier League could be allowed to resume as of June 1 by the Government.But games will be played without fans present, to avoid social contact in large crowds. The matches will, however, be broadcast.The Premier League are meeting today as they look to map out the way forward, although there will be no vote as to whether to resume the season on June 12.Burnley’s last game came on March 7, before football in the UK was shut down indefinitely amid the coronavirus pandemic.But the Premier League have maintained that they want to finish the season whenever safe, with a number of ideas floated, including behind closed doors games, at neutral venues.It is believed that the use of neutral venues is still a sticking point, with the bottom six sides in the Premier League also keen to take the prospect of relegation out of the equation should the season not be completed. Burnley are one of the clubs keen to resume, with boss Sean Dyche saying last week: “There are lots of ideas and lots of thoughts. We are very pro the idea of moving forward, when we can of course and when it’s safe, and the players are clear minded about that as well. They want the season to carry on and finish.“I had a Zoom call the other day wanting to make sure they were feeling right about things, because there are lots of variables and very personal situations sometimes – if you’ve had family affected or part of your family affected.“Everyone was of the same thought. Everyone wants to get back training and they want the season to go ahead.“They understand the importance and for themselves as well, as individuals.“I was a player for 20 years and, like most people in a workplace of whatever kind it is – and as enjoyable as football is it is a workplace – you get used to that rhythm of life, that going in and training, the feel-good factor and being part of a group, although that will have to build to that, we understand that with the distancing and things. “That day-to-day feeling of what it is to be player; it’s not just the game – although the game’s the most important – but it’s that feel-good factor of training, being well and sharing those experiences with another group.“I think these are things that become highlighted when you can’t get that, and I think our players are thirsty to get back to that and to get back playing at some point.”Tags: CoronavirusEnglish Premier LeagueEPLResumptionlast_img read more

Ronaldinho loses appeal for release from house arrest

first_imgRelatedPosts Anambra monarch urges Nigerians to shun protests over fuel price increase, electricity tariff Assembly appeals to NECO on deadline for SSCE registration Ronaldinho regains freedom in Paraguay Brazil superstar Ronaldinho has been ordered to remain under house arrest in Paraguay after an appeal court judge refused a request to release the former Barcelona player and his brother.The 40-year-year-old and his older sibling Roberto Assis spent more than a month in prison for allegedly entering the South American country with fake passports. In April, the pair were relocated to the four-star Palmaroga Hotel in the capital Asuncion after agreeing to pay $1.6 million in bail.Local media reported that the failed appeal means the brothers will be kept in preventive detention for up to six months, pending a trial.Ronaldinho and Assis travelled to Paraguay on March 4 to participate in a children’s charity event and promote a new book.They were arrested later that day on accusations of using false travel documents.The pair have denied any wrongdoing and said they were presented with the passports as a “gift” upon arriving in Asuncion. Ronaldinho retired from football in 2018 after a career that included spells at Gremio, Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona, Milan and Atletico Mineiro, among other clubs.He was a part of the Brazil team that won the 2002 World Cup and was twice voted Fifa world player of the year.Tags: AppealFake PassportsHouse arrestParaguayRonaldinholast_img read more