ARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 14, 2016)–Follow Me Crev made an eye catching move around Santa Anita’s far turn en route to a resounding 2 ½ length win in Sunday’s $65,000 allowance feature under Flavien Prat and thus stamped himself a candidate for the Grade I, $1 million Santa Anita Handicap on March 12, according to trainer Vladimir Cerin.“If he comes out of this race well, we’re going to look at the Big Cap and there’s a good chance we’ll run,” said Cerin of the 4-year-old Quality Road gelding who left 4-5 favorite Prospect Park in his wake while collecting his fourth straight win. “I was concerned today because we missed some training with him coming out of his last race (a 1 ¾ length allowance score going 1 1/16 miles on Jan. 9). I got him in a hyperbaric chamber a number of times though, and it really helped him.”Owned by David and Holly Wilson, Follow Me Crev had been ridden in his last two wins by Alonso Quinonez, but due to travel contingencies returning from Saudi Arabia, Quinonez was replaced this morning by Prat. The second choice in a field of six older horses, Follow Me Crev paid $7.60, $3.00 and $2.40.“He’s a really smart horse,” said Prat. “I made a move on the far turn and when we went for home, he switched leads and finished really well.”Claimed nine starts back for $50,000 on May 31, Follow Me Crev improved his overall record to 16-5-3-3. With the winner’s share of $39,000, he increased his earnings to $198,440.Trained by Clifford Sise and ridden by Kent Desormeaux, Prospect Park, a Grade III winner who was scratched out of Saturday’s Grade II, one mile turf Arcadia Stakes, sat a close second to pacesetter Big Cazanova but was no match for the winner the final sixteenth as he finished 1 ¾ lengths in front of “Big Caz” and paid $2.60 and $2.10.“We’re hoping this is a perfect setup for the Santa Anita Handicap,” said Sise, whose Prospect Park hadn’t run since finishing third in the Grade II, 1 1/8 miles turf Del Mar Derby on Sept. 6. “He needed this race. He was only 70 or 80 percent (ready) today, so this was perfect.”Like Prospect Park, Argentine-bred Big Cazanova scratched out of yesterday’s Arcadia to run on the main track today. Ridden by Santiago Gonzalez, Big Cazanova was off at 9-1 and paid $3.20 to show.Fractions on the race were 23.31, 46.25, 1:10.92 and 1:36.81.Nominations for the 79th running of the mile and a quarter Santa Anita Handicap close on Feb. 27.Racing resumes at Santa Anita tomorrow, with a nine-race President’s Day card. First post time is at 12:30 p.m. and admission gates open at 10:30 a.m.
Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LeBron James ‘would love’ to have Dwyane Wade in Cleveland Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary NEW YORK, NY – NOVEMBER 28: Russell Westbrook #0 of the Oklahoma City Thunder celebrates with Enes Kanter #11 against the New York Knicks during the second half at Madison Square Garden on November 28, 2016 in New York City. Michael Reaves/Getty Images/AFPEnes Kanter had dinner with Russell Westbrook the night he learned he was traded.Kanter doesn’t think his former teammate will be following him out of Oklahoma City anytime soon.ADVERTISEMENT E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Kanter said Monday at the Knicks media day that he believes Westbrook will sign a contract extension worth more than $200 million, rather than become a free agent next summer.The new Knicks center says Westbrook told him how much he loves Oklahoma City and how much he sees Oklahoma City like his family.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutKanter adds: “So I think, I feel like he’s going to sign with them. I mean, that’s his legacy. That’s his team and he’s not going to leave his legacy behind.”Kanter dined with Westbrook and Thunder center Steven Adams on Saturday after the Thunder agreed to trade him to New York in the deal to acquire Carmelo Anthony. The native of Turkey joked that his former teammates told him to be careful in New York, and to watch out for the media. MOST READ LATEST STORIES Read Next Lacson: PH lost about P161.5B tax revenue from big trading partners in 2017 PLAY LIST 03:46Lacson: PH lost about P161.5B tax revenue from big trading partners in 201700:50Trending Articles01:17DTI to cemetery goers: Buy candles and bottled waters in grocery stores, supermarkets01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain takes off his glove during qualifying for the Japanese Formula One Grand Prix at Suzuka Circuit in Suzuka, central Japan, Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017. (Kazuhiro Nogi/Pool Photo via APSUZUKA, Japan — Championship leader Lewis Hamilton secured pole position for the Japanese Grand Prix, leading a 1-2 finish for Mercedes drivers on Saturday.Hamilton posted a lap record time of 1 minute, 27.319 seconds to finish 0.332 ahead of Valtteri Bottas.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients Hamilton’s title rival, Sebastian Vettel, was third but the Ferrari driver will move up to second afterBottas’s penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change. Bottas drops to seventh.Hamilton struggled for pace in the previous race in Malaysia but that wasn’t the case in Saturday’squalifying.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“It’s been a really great day, every lap was fantastic, I never really got a great balance in the past so never did a great qualifying here,” Hamilton said.Hamilton smashed Michael Schumacher’s qualifying lap record, set during Q2 in 2006, by 1.365 seconds to take his 71st F1 pole and first in 10 attempts at this circuit. Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City View comments Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president “It has been a great car in qualifying this year, and qualifying for me is the most enjoyable part of the weekend,” said Hamilton, who had previously secured pole at every current F1 circuit except Suzuka.“It’s incredible for me, 10 years or whatever it is and my first pole at Suzuka,” Hamilton said.With five races remaining, Hamilton leads Vettel by 34 points in the drivers’ championship.Hamilton has won twice before here at Suzuka, in 2014 and 2015, and was runner-up to former Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg in last year’s race. Hamilton also won the Japanese GP with McLaren in 2007 when it was held at the Fuji Speedway.A win in Suzuka would move Hamilton a step closer to a third F1 title in four years with Mercedes and his fourth overall.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Pasaol ready for ‘unli rice’ after torching UST BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Read Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Vettel was happy to be on the front row after starting the Malaysia GP from the back of the grid and working his way up to a fourth-place finish.“The car is quick and, as last weekend shows, if you start out of position you can still get back,” Vettel said.Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo was fourth fastest — and now starts third — just 0.026 clear of teammate Max Verstappen, who won last week’s Malaysia GP.Kimi Raikkonen was sixth but, like Bottas, will also drop five places on the grid after requiring a new gearbox.Esteban Ocon edged Force India teammate Sergio Perez to finish seventh, while Williams driver Felipe Massa and McLaren-Honda’s Fernando Alonso rounded out the top 10.
Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games PLAY LIST 01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort UP mounted an 11-0 blast to tie the game at 79 with all the momentum on its side but a controversial call near the four-minute mark turned the tide.READ: Down but not out: Maroons still fighting for Final Four spot The referees missed what should’ve been an 8-second violation on Ateneo guard Jolo Mendoza, who fell just before crossing center court. Instead, a foul was called on UP playmaker Jun Manzo.Juan Gomez de Liaño topscored with 21 points while Paul Desiderio had 16 but went 6-of-18 from the field.ADVERTISEMENT No limbs, no problem for Italy’s fencing firebrand Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH “We showed a lot of character in the end. It was a tough game, we were challenged from the start and I’m happy that the players stepped up to the challenge,” said Ateneo coach Sandy Arespacochaga.READ: Perasol welcomes solid support from alumni: ‘It pressure us to deliver’FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutMatt Nieto scored a team-high 19 points, including seven inside the last three minutes, while Isaac Go and Gian Mamuyac added 13 points each for Ateneo, which out-rebounded UP, 49-34.Thirdy Ravena struggled from the field but did a little bit of everything to still finish with 10 points, nine rebounds, six assists, four steals and a block. Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion MOST READ Read Next View comments Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netAteneo moved a win away from an elimination round sweep after holding off University of the Philippines, 96-82, in the UAAP Season 80 men’s basketball tournament Wednesday night at Smart Araneta Coliseum.The No. 1 Blue Eagles, who will shoot for a 14-0 record against defending champion De La Salle on Sunday, went on a 17-3 run in the final four minutes and 11 seconds to break away from a 79-deadlock.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa
Inter Milan, Juventus challenge BVB for Man Utd midfielder Maticby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveInter Milan and Juventus are joining the race to sign Nemanja Matic.The experienced defensive midfielder could be out of favour at Manchester United under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.With United favouring a younger approach, Matic could soon be surplus to requirements.The Sunsays Borussia Dortmund and the two Italian clubs are interested in signing Matic.The 31-year-old will be out of contract next summer, when he would be free to sign for any club of his choosing.Matic is currently behind Scott McTominay and Paul Pogba in the United midfield ranks.He played his first game of the Premier League season against Leicester due to Pogba being injured. TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
HALIFAX – Nova Scotia’s system to support people with intellectual disabilities has dark roots in a poorhouse system that led to attitudes they should remain segregated and controlled, a human rights inquiry was told Tuesday.The inquiry is looking at whether two Nova Scotians with disabilities have the right to live in supported housing — meaning, in the community, rather than institutions and psychiatric facilities.Michael Bach, a researcher and advocate for inclusion, was called to testify by the Disability Rights Coalition, an advocacy group for people with disabilities that is a complainant in the proceeding.Bach was hired in 2012 by the former NDP government to help transform its system for people with disabilities, and to help close its remaining institutions.After outlining the repeated reports and studies calling for the changes over several decades, Bach told lawyer Claire McNeil about the history of poorhouses, where people lived in crowded settings away from the main community.He said that approach changed for most poor people at the beginning of the 20th century, as they were allowed to move into the community with income supports.But the same shift didn’t occur as quickly for people with disabilities, as large facilities with municipal boards of directors continued operating around the province.“Who gets left is those who had more significant needs and don’t have the income to purchase the supports they needed to live in communities on their own,” Bach said.He said the notion of a person having little control over their own lives lies in this history.An independent report on an incident at the former Braemore facility in Sydney, N.S., was also a big factor in the desire for change, he said.The Canadian Press had reported on a 2010 case in which an adult man with autism was locked alone in a constantly lit room at the adult residential centre for 15 days with occasional breaks. A provincial investigation said videos constantly monitored him, and on several occasions, he urinated in a corner when he was unable to get a staff member’s attention.As a “people-centred approach” became more common around the world, Bach said Nova Scotia started to realize change was necessary.He said the view of provincial officials who hired him was that a “transformation” had to occur.“There wasn’t a notion of ‘Let’s do some tinkering with the system, let’s do some incremental changes,’” he said during testimony before inquiry chairperson J. Walter Thompson.“There was a recognition it needed to be transformed,” he said.However, the inquiry has heard opening arguments from the lawyers representing people with intellectual disabilities that this transformation is incomplete, particularly in the case of their clients.Forty-five-year-old Joseph Delaney and 46-year-old Beth MacLean say they should be permitted to move from the hospital-like settings into small homes where assistance is provided in areas such as meals and personal care.A third complainant, Sheila Livingstone, died as the case wound its way through various delays, but her story will be told by family members and the complainants’ lawyer.There were 504 people awaiting some form of support from the Department of Community Services as of last Thursday, and 1,024 people awaiting a transfer to a different housing option or location.A Justice Department lawyer at the hearing has said the province may agree with the principle of providing supports, but it’s not necessarily a human rights violation for the province to refuse funding or eliminate waiting lists.The province also says it is working to improve its Disability Support Program and to create more small-options homes.The province’s lawyer is expected to cross examine Bach on Wednesday, while the lawyer for the two complainants with intellectual disabilities is expected to call his first witnesses.Follow (at)mtuttoncporg on Twitter.
Kolkata: JB Tamang, president, Himalayan Plantation Workers’ Union (HPWU), which is affiliated to the GNLF, was produced at the Additional Chief Judicial Court in Kurseong onThursday. Tamang has been remanded to police custody for a day in a case under the Mirik police station. Tamang had been implicated in a case under the Naxalbari Police Station and arrested on Sunday. He had been produced at the Siliguri ACJM court from where he was granted a bail. However, as soon as he stepped out he was re-arrested in a case under the Mirik police station. Tamang was produced at the ACJM Court in Kurseong on Monday where he had fallen ill and admitted to the hospital. He has been charged under Sections 143/ 341/186/353/506/120 (B) of the Indian Penal Code in a case under the Mirik Police Station. “The police had appealed for 7 days of remand. The ACJM allowed a single day of police remand. He will be produced again on Friday. Bail hearing will also take place then,” said Bharat Giri, defence lawyer of JB Tamang.
Former Liverpool and Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani has bought Spes Montesacro 1908 the club where he started his career.Aquilani, 34, fondly known as “Il Principino” came through the Giallorossi youth system, but he was first spotted while playing for a local amateur side.Now the former Liverpool star has decided to purchase 100 percent of the shares in Spes Montesacro.“My journey started here, on a dirt pitch in Montesacro, my footballing house is Spes,” Aquilani wrote on Instagram.“From there I started a long journey, one of sacrifice and commitment which led me to wear different glorious shirts in important stadiums.“I achieved a lot of satisfaction, but I never forgot my first time on a football pitch. I return with a wealth of experience to be transmitted to small dreamers.“This will be a new challenge for me, but thanks to the values and teachings of my family I’m sure I can commit to the continuity and excellence of Spes.“A new journey begins here… ours.”